"He-Man: I Have The Power!" is a commission art for this year's Power Con, as it will be on the Con Guide cover. I am really proud of this, because now I am actually part of a great line-up of incredible MOTU artists, who did former Power Con cover artworks.
It was really a challenge to paint this. The famous transformation. And you can easily f*** it up. Since this is a key moment of every MOTU story, I did not want to fail at all, but I really had respect to this scene.
This sequence was always stunning for me as a child, when I watched the Filmation cartoon. These powers, the dynamics... incredible. A lot of artworks showing up Adam's transformation into He-Man include a lot of... well... light and shine and tinsel... but it's weird - they still they seem to appear with a kind of statics instead of magic. Anyway. I wanted it to be loud and powerful and just a big bad bang. As far as possible without any sound. *giggle
Visualizing the power itself was an important aspect for me. So I had to find out how to make the sword (as a key object) kind of a conductor for the power of Grayskull. Early sketches showed up "just" a bright glowing sword, but honestly it just looked like a bigger lightsaber from Star Wars EP. LXVII, that's not what I wanted it to appear. So I decided to surround it with a kind of magical aura and to let only the touched parts glow up - brightly! I choose blue (as complementary colour to orange) for the shine to show a kind of power that is different than anything else and it visually flows through He-Man's veins, which are glowing up in this moment, too.
Oil on canvas, 70 x 100 cm.

Comments

  1. What is the name title of the book that your art work is created for?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was done for the Power Con guide 2017.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Guarding The Safety Of Eternia - The He-Man Cardback Motive

Oil Painting: "Guarding the Safety of Eternia" - The Classic He-Man Figure Packaging Cardback Graphic